BLS Instructor Training Prerequisites / Course Details
Thank you for your interest in American Heart Association BLS Instructor Training with CPR Tacoma. To enroll in a class, or view our current schedule click here. The following information outlines course prerequisites, required skill proficiencies, required course materials, how to prepare for the class, and what you need to do to be awarded Instructor status. To find out more about the time and cost involved with becoming an AHA instructor / AHA Training Site, click here. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions via phone (206-504-3280) or email (email@example.com).
- Current 2015 protocol American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers certification card. Under "Holders Signature" your card must read "2015 American Heart Association". 2010 protocol cards will not be accepted.
- Current 2015 protocol American Heart Association Heartsaver Adult, Child, Infant CPR & First Aid certification card.
- Complete the AHA BLS Instructor Essentials online training (for all BLS Instructor classes taking place after July 1, 2017).
- Alignment with an AHA Training Center: students must speak with an AHA Training Center Coordinator and get their alignment approved before attending their Instructor Course. CPR Tacoma welcomes those who go through our Instructor Course to align with us. Please speak with any CPR Tacoma staff for details.
- Course materials (see list below).
- Exemplary BLS Healthcare Provider skills and Heartsaver CPR and first aid skills (see list of skills below).
- Ability to pass the BLS instructor exam and the Heartsaver CPR and first aid instructor exam.
A CPR Tacoma Training Center Faculty must monitor instructor candidates teaching an actual BLS class before receiving an instructor card. Candidates must enroll in a BLS Course Monitoring Class within 6 months of their instructor course. If the candidate does not complete the course monitoring session within 6 months of completing the instructor training, the instructor course must be taken again. Click here to see upcoming course monitoring dates and to enroll in a session.
Required Instructor Course / Teaching Materials (Note: these materials must be obtained before the start of your class. The BLS for Healthcare Providers Instructor Manual is required to complete the BLS Instructor Essentials online training*)
- AHA 2015 BLS for Healthcare Providers Instructor Manual, $40
- AHA 2015 BLS for Healthcare Providers Student Manual, $16
- AHA 2015 BLS for Healthcare Providers Course and Renewal Course DVD, $75
- Timing Device (AHA Stopwatch 90-1509 or similar device which can be stopped and started without looking at the device), $10
*The Instructor Essentials is required for students taking the instructor training after July 1, 2017.
Required Skill Proficiencies (must be correctly demonstrated at the start of the Instructor course)
- 1 rescuer adult CPR (BLS Course)
- 2 rescuer adult CPR with AED (BLS Course)
- 1 rescuer infant CPR (BLS Course)
- 2 rescuer infant CPR (BLS Course)
- Lay rescuer adult CPR (Heartsaver CPR)
- Lay rescuer infant CPR (Heartsaver CPR)
- Glove removal (Heartsaver CPR)
- Finding the Problem (Heartsaver First Aid)
- Epi-Pen administration (Heartsaver First Aid)
- Control of severe bleeding (Heartsaver First Aid)
If instructors wish to conduct Heartsaver programs the following materials are required for teaching: Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED Instructor Manual, Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED DVD set, Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED Student Manual (the Heartsaver Student Manual is highly recommended to prepare for the BLS Instructor Training).
How to Prepare for the AHA BLS Instructor Course
- Practice, practice, practice your skills! The BLS Instructor Manual contains a skill check-off sheet (pages 23-25) that you will use to evaluate your own students. Skills are explained step by step. Study the skills check list, practice the skills yourself, you can even practice watching a friend performing the skill and check off the steps they have performed correctly as they do the skill. An additional way to practice is by re-watching the AHA BLS and Heartsaver course videos. You can also audit a BLS or Heartsaver course by contacting CPR Tacoma. Students who cannot correctly perform these skills at the beginning of the instructor course will not be permitted to continue the course and will be asked to attend the next session.
- Read through your entire AHA BLS for Healthcare Provider Instructor Manual.
- Read through your entire AHA BLS for Healthcare Provider Student Manual.
- Read through your entire AHA Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Student Manual.
Post Instructor Training Requirements & AHA Training Center Alignment
Instructors are required to join the AHA Instructor Network.
Questions? Feel free to call us at 206-504-3280, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Date & Time||Location||Cost||Space Available|
|No scheduled classes.|